According To Kels

Monday, August 20, 2012

Disney Land Is NOT The Happiest Place On Earth!

This past weekend, I had the absolute pleasure of volunteering for the National MS Society, Kids Get MS Too, weekend family camp. It was one of the most AMAZING, most HUMBLING experiences I've ever had in all my years of living.

I fell in love ten times over with the kids and their families. The ages ranged from nine to twenty two. They also had varying degrees of disability. Not a single one of the were lacking in heart, determination or hope. Just thinking about some of conversations I had and some of the things they were able to accomplish this weekend, in spite of their illness makes me teary.

They enjoyed having fun in the vast outdoors: zip lining, walking the tightrope, playing ball, swimming. No one was worried about  feeling self conscience about their crutches or worrying about whether or not it was time to take their meds or anything like that. It was refreshing to see the kids be just kids. The parents got to have massages, play card games, talk about their experiences and laugh and enjoy being adults without having to worry about whether or not their kids were being properly cared for. It was FANTASTIC!

It was only one weekend out of our soon to be over summer. It may have been a silly conversation or a simple hug that was given during a game...but the connections the families made are lasting connections. I know I'll keep in touch with the kids and the parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home